Sunday, September 7, 2014

A perfect example of what I'm talking about.

Yesterday, I wrote about the importance of teaching our kids to cope with life, as opposed to completely catering to today's kids different needs (because it seems like every kid has some sort of intolerance and if we don't make allowances for everyone, we are deemed bullies).
I got some mixed reviews, lost some Facebook friends and lived my life for the rest of the day.
This morning, after talking with my husband about the whole post, I thought I'd share an example of some amazing parenting, from way back in the 90's. Tubular!

In my 5th grade class, a new kid joined us a few weeks after the school year started. As if being new wasn't hard enough, Jessica also had type 1 diabetes.
Instead of her parents insisting our class adjust class parties to better suit the fact that ONE out of THIRTY SIX children could not indulge in sodas and sweets, her parents prepared 10 year old Jessica to deal with being different.
On her first day of school, Jessica's mom came in, set up a projector and Jessica told us all about her diabetes. She showed us pictures of her time in the hospital, slides from her awesome diabetes summer camp and her mother tested her blood sugar in front of us. Jessica opened the floor for questions and answered every single one we asked.
-No, diabetes ins't contagious and I didn't get it from sitting on the toilet. 
-No, I don't have aids. (remember, this was the 90's)
-Yes, I will have it forever. 
-Yes, I celebrate Halloween and I go trick or treating. I take all my candy and sell it to my brother!
-No, I will not bleed on you.
She probably answered fifteen questions, a handful of which were backhanded and meant to hurt her feelings. In the end, she was just so nonchalant about it all, that the jerky kids gave up on making fun of her.
When we had our class parties, she brought treats for us, a little something for herself and we wrote her friendly notes on little origami papers, because we embraced her difference.
She was one of the most popular kids in the grade because she was confident and her parent's championed her through a difficult time.

...Oh, and because she didn't ruin our class parties. That, too.



1 comment:

  1. My kids are too young for me to have to deal with this yet, but as I've been reading all the back to school posts, I've felt a little annoyed and worried about what the future holds for us. The highlight of my birthday was bringing in cupcakes for my class and it does make me sad that my daughter very likely will not be able to do that. Or that her favorite lunch is PB&J and some schools won't let you bring in peanut products at all, even for personal consumption. It just seems so complicated. I'm not insensitive, but yeah, disappointment is a part of life. Also, really great learning opportunities! I'm genuinely look for opportunities to talk about that sort of stuff with my 3 year old because while she is totally sweet and this is completely a product of her and her brother being the only grand kids on both extended sides of the family, she is kinda spoiled. I want her to have a happy life, but I also don't want to raise an entitled brat. Anyway, totally cool that you had the balls to be honest. Shitty that some people would unfriend you. I'm curious - does that count as cyber bullying? ;)

    ReplyDelete