Thursday, December 12, 2013

Something Needs to Change and I Think it's Me.

I wouldn't say I'm a super healthy person. I'm average weight, can run a mile and do 10 push ups. I eat fast food a couple times a year and can count on one hand the number of times I have fried food for my family in the last 12 months.  
Again, I don't think I am super healthy. I eat A LOT of processed foods and straight up junk.
Staples in my diet include: Quesadillas, packaged lunch meat and canned soups.
Those things are tasty and convenient. In fact, I'm eating a quesadilla with lunch meat and dipping it in Ranch Dressing right now. As I type. As I write about how I am not going to do this anymore.
(I haven't Googled anything about lunch meat or pre packaged cheeses yet. Let me finish my 'dilla first)

I also wouldn't say my family is that healthy, either.
I regularly send my kids to school with lunch $ to get whatever sh*t of the day is being served. Waking up the extra 30 minutes to prepare lunches for 3 is a pain in the ass.
But this morning, I watched a youtube clip about Pink Slime. And that led to another clip about more Pink Slime, which led to a clip about chicken nuggets, which led to me making my daughter's lunch this morning.

I don't even really know where to begin to change what I feed myself and my family, but I do know something needs to be different. I cannot, in good faith, claim to be a decent parent, when I am feeding my children chemicals and by products and slime (even if it is pink).

I have always rolled my eyes at people that go on these food revolutions, but I really think the state of food in America is not fair. It's not fair that I have to search high and low at the grocery store for "real" lunch meat, and when I find it, I have to pay $12/lb. I don't think it's fair that the fruit snacks I give to my kids don't contain any fruit. I don't think it's fair that canned tomato soup has 700 mg of sodium and "tomato flavoring".
It isn't fair and it's not going to change, so I need to just deal with it and make my own food. Food out of things that are actually food.

Wish me luck.


2 comments:

  1. Small steps. I started making all my own soups and don't buy canned anymore. It really doesn't take that much time and I can control the salt content. Do one thing a month to change, if you try and do too much at once you'll fail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I went all crazy and was on basically a raw foods diet after I had Josie and until I got pregnant with Rori. I'm not quite that extreme now (that 3rd kid ruined me), but a lot of it has stuck. I just don't crave junk anymore. If I do, I at least make it homemade junk. The biggest thing is how you shop. If you don't have it in the house, you can't eat it. 75% of what we buy is fruits and veggies (frozen or fresh). It means you cook a lot more and that sucks, but once kids get used to it, they ask for an apple and carrots instead of chips. Just as easy. Stick to the outer perimeter of the store and read labels. You can eat cheap and healthy. Things like brown rice, oatmeal, beans, etc are filling, healthy and cheap. You may see a big change in your kids health and behavior. Since changing our diets, my kids are seriously never sick. I feel like they concentrate better, too. Anyway, yeah...good luck! Cooking and buying food for a big family sucks. But your awesome and can totally do this! : )

    ReplyDelete