Tuesday, November 12, 2013

A review of Micrsoft Surface Fresh Paint, as written from a non techy person's viewpoint


Let me make one thing clear: I am a PC. Not because I have any issue with Apple products, nor do I think PC's are superior in any way. I just have only ever owned PCs. It's what I know.
Now, my mother is a Mac. She owns an iPad and an iPad Mini. My 7 year old daughter uses them CONSTANTLY and has never asked for any help from anyone whatsoever. She pretty much saw the iPad laying around one day, figured out how to turn it on, purchased the puppy pet nail salon app and that was it.
Last Sunday, the Microsoft store was generous enough to invite my Girl Scout troop to come learn about The Microsoft Surface and how to use Fresh Paint. None of my Girl Scouts own or have played with a Surface before.
In my opinion, the Surface is ultimately cooler looking than an iPad. I love the Surface interface and think collages are cool. I used to make them all the time in 7th grade, so I can appreciate it.
However, to my 7 year olds, it was too much too look at. Big colorful icons stuck together made it hard to decipher which one to choose.
Finding Fresh Paint seemed to be easy enough (a bright yellow icon con paint brush), but choosing the correct blank page, getting the palate to show up, picking tools--that all took some learning and parental frustration.

Here's how it went:
"Just tap at the top and pull down, that's how you get your plain palate. Just tap at the bottom and you can pull up an icon to save!"
  I did that and now my page is not here anymore.
 "Just tap at the top and pull down, that's how you get your plain palate. Just tap at the bottom and you can pull up an icon to save!"
  I'm telling you, I did that and now I am looking at 3 pictures of a humming bird on my left side bar.
"Just tap at the top and pull down, that's how you get your plain palate. Just tap at the bottom and you can pull up an icon to save!"
  Okay, seriously, I did that and now I am somehow 3D printing an octopus. I really....I just..

So, there was a learning curve. However, once I learned it, Fresh Paint was really cool. The paint strokes looked realistic, you could blend colors and use tons of different brushes. Freshpaint is like old fashioned Accessory Paint on the good kind of crack.

If you're up to it, I highly suggest spending an hour in a Microsoft store and having someone who knows what the hell they're talking about show you around. If anything, they have a 3D printer-which is badass.

1 comment:

  1. in college i took a graphic design class, completely unaware that we would be using macs. i had never used a mac before. it was definitely a learning experience, that's for sure. i haven't used a mac since.

    ReplyDelete