Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bye Bye Appendix!

Untitled
On Sunday, I was enjoying a family get together with some Colombian in laws visiting from Miami, when I suddenly felt like I was going to be sick. Really sick. I blamed my ailment on food poisoning, but wasn't throwing up or feverish. Instead, I was feeling like PMS cramps on steroids. My husband suggested I go to the ER, but I insisted I would be fine by morning. All night, I tossed and turned and the pain moved from my stomach to my lower right abdomen.
Good, I'm digesting whatever didn't agree with me, I figured.
Morning came, and I still felt pretty terrible. I could move, but my right side cramped every time I shifted. Again, my husband prodded me to go to the ER, and again I resisted saying,
"It's gas, dear. I'm going to go to the ER and they will squeeze some pressure point to make me let out a fart and I will be mortified."
When I think of the ER, I think of people with their arms cut off, bullet wounds and home-improvement-gone-wrong disasters filling the lobby seats. Not some lady with abdominal pains.
My husband was unrelenting, so I called my general practitioner and explained my symptoms.
"GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM," she said. Geez.

Untitled
My first attempted meal after surgery: Broth, Jell-O and crappy juice box. I took one sip and was nauseous.






























I went to St. Jude's and got some blood work, pee'd in a cup and had an ultrasound.
Just my luck. My appendix was inflamed and needed to come out ASAP.
My surgery was pretty quick (I think) and my incision is pretty small, an inch long, maybe. Recovery, so far, has been boring. The first day after surgery was awful. The hospital had me on Dilaudid (narcotic) for pain, which made me feel terrible! My heart was racing, my head was spinning and my body was numb. The worst part was I was so high, I couldn't ask for them to NOT give it to me.. Finally, after a night of hell, I woke up was lucid enough to explain the way I felt and my nurse just gave me plain Tylenol. MUCH BETTER.
The pain isn't terrible (when I'm not moving), but I have to lay around as much as possible for a few days so my abdomen can heal a bit. I never knew how many stomach muscles are needed just to shift my weight in bed.


Untitled
Showing the internets my mid drift. My incision is teeny!

I am home and on a liquid diet for now, working my way up to solid foods. I tried to eat some soft Hawaiian Sweet Bread tonight, but I kind of sucked on it for a while before chewing it really, really, really well and swallowing. Then I got sick. YUM!...?
My goals this week are to catch up on Blogging, work my way up to walking around the block and eventually eat something delicious. Wish me luck.

In the meantime, I need some suggestions of what to do, because I'm seriously bored. DVDS? NETFLIX? Good books?






12 comments:

  1. You are so lucky it didn't rupture. Stay put and give it time to heal. We'll go back to Islands when you are eating again. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol I prepared my islands recap last night and was drooling at the pictures.

      Delete
  2. OMG! Glad you are doing ok.
    Suggestions on Netflix... have you seen Jiro Dreams of Sushi? Scratch that. It's a documentary on sushi... and seeing that you can't eat it yet... bad choice. How about Pitch Perfect? I've been watching that everytime it's on HBO... Hehe.

    Heal fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I already want sushi without watching a doc. I'm so stinking hungry, Chris. I'd eat just about anything of I could.

      Delete
  3. Ah shit. I was going to text u today but got distracted with all the damn cleaning i needed to catch up on. I wanted to tell you, please call me if you need anything. ANYTHING. want me to pick up the girls? do your laundry... anything. I hope you're feeling better and heal quickly! love you!!!

    oh... i do have some netflix recommendations..

    orange is the new black, lars and the real girl, toast, you me and everyone we know, the details...

    xoxo!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lololol don't worry! I was zzzz yesterday. So much sleeping!!

      Delete
  4. WATCH SHERLOCK ON NETFLIX. BBC VERSION. IT WILL COMPLETE YOUR LIFE

    Protein drinks are very very important right now until you get back to food!
    Fluids will help flush the junk from your body (but downside all of the getting up and sitting down when you pee.)
    Remember to breathe deeply as you can (did they give you an incentive spirometer? the thing you blow in with the little ball?)
    Keep a pillow around to hold onto if you cough.

    GLAD YOU WENT TO THE E/R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They gave me the spirometer in the hospital.. I'm glad I yanked it to take home! They didn't tell me to take protein drinks, but that makes sense and will help me with the hunger pains! Thank you nurse Jenny!

      Delete
  5. Oh you poor thing!!! What a whirlwind to all of a sudden experience! I second the Sherlock recommendation from Jenny! That will kill 10 hours or so at least! Luther is really good too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! And I have my husband getting me some paper back romance novellas. I'm all set for a few days!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad your well and out of the hospital. Stay put, relax and get plenty of rest. Its crazy what happened so you need to give yourself rest, NO moving!

    movie recommendations...ugh I suck at movies. online shopping is good therapy ;)

    Get well soon!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you have a library card & e-reader? You can check out e-books from the comfort of your home, if so.

    Last GREAT books I read were: Roz Lee's Bases Loaded & Dee J Adams Dangerously Close, if you like smexy romance. For a more literary one that'll make you cry, Sere Prince Halverson's The Underside of Joy.

    I'm not much of a moviegoer, so I have few recommends there. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete