Wednesday, June 26, 2013

SUM-MER

Summer is in full swing. How can I tell?

Untitled
I am sweaty ALL THE TIME. We don't have air conditioning in any of our cars (old car problems) and my sweet, sweet husband is not a fan of using the air conditioning (that we do have) in our house. To combat the heat we use fans and live in complete darkness-blinds closed and lights off- to conserve what little cool air is flowing through the house. We fumble around by the light of the TV.


Untitled
..not the most effective way to kill a fly..
FLIES. There is something going on with the city of La Habra's fly population. I don't know if it is the lack of breeze (thanks, geography!), abundance of trash cans or possible gypsy curse placed on this city, but we have flies everywhere. EVERYWHERE. I can't stand flies, so I patrol the house on red alert with my fly swatter in tow. My swatting skills cannot be matched and I amaze the girls with my 2in1 smack attack. PS everything I have tried on Pinterest to control the fly population has been a crock.
Untitled
Underwear. Because it is so damned hot, my entire family pretty much lounges around in underwear all the time. A knock at the door is followed by the sounds of all 5 of us running up the stairs to hide until someone manages to get kind of dressed, go back downstairs, answer the door and find that whomever was there, is now gone.

Untitled
Government Lunches. The Boys & Girls club offers a free lunch to children 18 years of age and younger at the park across the street from us. Of course I take my kids to it! This not only counts as us leaving the house (Mooooooom, we didn't do anything fun today!! Sure we did, we went to the park), but I don't have to cook anything on the stove and heat the house up. Hooray for living on that poverty line!

Untitled
Chlorine Gunk in our Junk. When we actually leave the house we go one of two places: The grocery store, where we stand in the frozen section airing our sweaty backsides out, or the water park. In fact, we go to the water park so often that we smell like chlorine all the time. The upstairs bathroom is a mess of hanging towels and swimming suits-I should just install a clothes line. Not to mention 5 females with chlorine hair syndrome-How is it that my hair can not only be a gummy mess, but also completely dried out at the same time? At least I look good in green.

How does your family do summer? Surely you have your seasonal symptoms. Do share.

10 comments:

  1. I live pretty close to you & have the same problems with heat & flies (except my room mate REFUSES to turn on the air conditioner!). The park sounds like a nice solution for now--good luck with the summer heat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ack!! The flies. What is a lady to do?

      Delete
  2. HIlarious! I so have a mental picture now of a mad scramble for clothes when the doorbell rings.

    Malls are usually air-conditioned too. Museums sometimes have free days, library reading circles... but nothing beats getting in that water, even if it does lead to green hair.

    The trick of wrapping a damp bandana around an ice cube and draping it so that the ice cube presses against the back of the neck works as a quickie cool-me-off, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Beverly! I may try that bandana idea in the car :)
      We like to go to the Children's Museum in La Habra for their First Saturday. It is close enough that I don't turn into beef julie jerky as a result of the blazing car ride. Someday I hope we get a pool so I will never need to leave.

      Delete
  3. There's no air conditioning in our house. We live relatively close to the beach but some days are so unbearable. I have a ceiling fan but it was installed incorrectly and shakes violently when it's on. Since it's right over my bed I don't leave it on at night because I keep thinking one day it's going to fall off and I'd like to keep my legs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. I used to live in a house with a scary ceiling fan over our dinner table. It was so loud we couldn't hear any dinner conversation. I miss living in Utah and using swamp coolers. THOSE are the best! Wet, cold, frigid air. Aaaah.

      Delete
  4. HAHA, you totally made me laugh loud and my daughter was so intrigued by what I was reading that she was looking at the pictures and reading you post along with me. Yes chlorine in hair is not good! My husband is the complete opposite of your husband he sometimes manages to freeze us! He and my kids have high body temperatures which means that they are rarely cold, instead in summer they are bathed in sweat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would die if it was that cold in my house! I am a mild temperature type of lady. During the winter I live in a down jacket and become a nudist in summer heat. Give me 71 degrees all the time, please.

      Delete
  5. Hahahaha! I love that second picture! That is something I would do... at my age. :D
    We do a bit of everything except the beach these days. Movies, gym, running (me), staying indoors in the A/C...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Movies! I love summertime movies. Two hours of time killed, and two hours of air conditioning. I am a scandalous at the theater. My purse is full of contraband- home popped pop corn, candy..I've even snuck tacos in.

      Delete