Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Operation Mooey

Untitled
Cat's mooey. She takes it everywhere. I can't imagine what she would do if it was lost.
There is something wonderful about a handmade blanket. My children are so attached to these simple flannel blankies I made for them, it reminds me of Linus from the Peanut's Gang. Their blankets also seem to double as capes, magic carpets and hats around here. Somewhere down the line, one of my girls began calling her blanket a "mooey" and the name stuck.

Photo Courtesy Time Lightbox
(AP Photo Sue Ogrocki)
While reading updates about the recent Oklahoma tornadoes, I couldn't help but think of all the children without their special comfort items. I've never experienced a tornado, but people literally lose all their stuff. All of it. That blows my mind.
I couldn't sleep last night, so I got out my sewing machine, the big bag of fabric sitting in my craft closet, and started making mooeys to send to a shelter in Moore, Oklahoma. I know that this is a small scale way to help, but it is something I can do. I am hoping to get more flannel and continue to make mooeys for those in need.
What can you do?

Photo Courtesy Time Lightbox
(AP Photo Sue Ogrocki)
If you are looking for ways to help, here are some links.
To send donations of clothes, comfort and sanitary items to emergency shelters:
Graceway Baptist Church, located at 1100 S.W. 104th in Oklahoma City.
Oakcrest Church of Christ

Monetary donations:
http://www.ryot.org
http://www.tulsacf.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment