Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Bully Free Family


If you have followed this blog, you know I have four girls under my roof. Three are my step daughters, so sometimes things feel a little unbalanced.

Untitled

I searched for resources to talk about bullying with my small children, but didn't find anything I liked. So, I created a little work book to facilitate a family conversation on the topic.
 Here are some snippets:
I had the girls make a brainstorm of what bullies do and how they make us feel


The girls made promises to themselves, each other and our family to change some bully behaviours.
Untitled
If you are interested in checking this out, you can download the pdf here.
We went through the book page by page and talked about what bullying means, why people bully and how it makes us feel. I had the kids draw a picture of what a bully looks like (all the kids drew ugly troll people), and then explained that bullies can come in all shapes and sizes, but look the same on the inside. They were shocked that bullies can be pretty little girls! Ultimately, the point I wanted to get across was that bullies are sad, jealous or hurt people who want everyone else to feel the same as they do. We talked about how to help bullies and what we can do to keep our family "bully free".

Feel free to share this with anyone you think could use it!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I really like this. Its a good way to talk about bullying with the kids and keep them reminded of the issue. I love it. Really cool.

    ReplyDelete