Tuesday, February 12, 2013

On Homeschooling..

This has been a hot topic in my circles lately, and I thought I would say a few things about


#1- It is probably NOT for me. Actually, it is not. 100% no. 

I am just not that strong willed. I cannot take the whining.

#2-I wish it was for me, but it isn't.

I think about how great it would be to have the flexibility to take school wherever we went-
Math at the beach? Science at the Disneyland? English at the park? But, the truth is that I like to nap on the sand, ride Space Mountain and tune the kids out while waiting in line, and I KNOW that every time I go to the park, I just get stuck pushing Bel on the swings the whole time. Plus, my kids would not be able to deal with the distractions outside of a classroom, and they seem to respond better when someone who is not me or my husband is telling them anything. ANYTHING.

#3- Parents that home school are badasses. 

My SIL homeschools her 3 girls. Her girls are respectful, well educated, creative, balanced and kind. My SIL treats her children with patience and love.  I have never heard her bark at her kids or witnessed a "Mommy Meltdown". She has her girls all day. Applause!

#4-Parents that don't homeschool are just as badass.

Yeah. You heard me. I take my kids to 3 different schools. I am in the car all day. I am dealing with 3 different science projects, 3 different homework assignments, 3 different teacher's expectations, 3 different deadlines. I'm doing my share, too. Applause!
Untitled
I certainly didn't teach her that.

#5-People need to chill out with their opinions on Home schooling VS. Traditional School

Do you homeschool? Great! Do you send your kids to school? Awesome! Does your kid do online elementary? Sweet! Packets? Rad. 
Why do we have to make passive aggressive remarks at one another about what my child  is or isn't doing because she is or isn't in a traditional school? Unless I ask for an opinion or advice regarding my kid's education, I don't need to hear anything other than, "Hooray for helping your kid to not be illiterate! Good choice."
Untitled
I definitely taught her that.

 #6-It's NBD

Gasp! Life changes. Sometimes you have to pull your kid out of school and take a chance at something new. Sometimes you have to go back to work full time and put your homeschooled child into a traditional setting. Sometimes your child's friends are crappy influences and you need to just take a breather. Sometimes kids can be merciless bullies and homeschool is a refuge. Sometimes you have another baby and it has special needs, so you cannot devote your time to homeschooling right now. Sometimes you tried it (whatever it is) and it wasn't for you. 
SOMETIMES, SOMETIMES, SOMETIMES.
There is a laundry list of reasons why parents pull kids out, or put kids in. But, none of those reasons are your business.

#7-It's none of your business unless it's your kid.

So stay out of it.

12 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is EXACTLY how I feel. (And Sometimes you need to use it as an intervention for a month in order to detox your kid before she starts therapy. And then you send her back.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. People shouldn’t comment which they do but really, they shouldn’t. I mean all families have different needs so whatever works for them congratulations. I think if I had kiddies I would probably send them off to school. But who knows…circumstances change.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Things change. One of the hardest things about being a mother, is honestly admitting that you have to change what you are doing, because it isn't working. Other mother's aren't always the nicest critics, and it isn't always easy to ingore them.

      Delete
  3. i wish homeschooling was for me too. but i just don't think i have the patience to do it. plus, my older son really thrives in a traditional school environment. i'm not sure how he would do if he was *stuck* with me for all of his schooling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know how I would do if I was *stuck* with them all of their schooling, either. ;)

      Delete
  4. I like this post for a number of reasons... I don't push the homeschooling thing on anyone. I might have even wrote a post that it isn't as easy as some make it sound lol I never thought I would homeschool but here we are... lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You rule for homeschooling, and for being honest that it isn't always a walk in the park.

      Delete
  5. you know i wanted my kids to be homeschooled before i got pregnant with niko.. and still want them to. but i want raoul to do it. and recently while talking to some moms from nikos school i thought about doing our own homeschool group or our own "co-op". now that niko goes to a co-op preschool i really like it, everybody is super involved and it works great for my family. it would be awesome if a group of us rotated daily on teaching the kids in their home each day of the week. but if i can find a public school that i love for the kids, i wouldn't mind taking them to public school. so many public schools are shitty though. i don't judge parents on their choice though, we all do what is best for our kids. parenting is hard enough without the pointless opinions of assholes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good idea. I've met your husband and he is smart.

      Delete