Friday, February 1, 2013

Please...

advice
Every once in a while, I kind of know what I am talking about.
So, if you have or are about to have school aged children, here is some advice that I think has made a great difference in my girl's first grade experience.

#1: Get involved in your kid's class. Be a room mom. 

Untitled
Av's Yog-a-thon. This was on the first lap. She was a champion grass picker after this.
I know all the kids in both of my daughter's classes. I have gone on field trips, helped with art projects and filed papers for their teachers. I am in the loop all around.  When one of them has any kind of issue at school-academic or social- I hear about it right away. I know which kids I don't want my girls to be around, I know which boys they like, I am the great and powerful.
Also, both girls love when I can come help in class, because it gives us a special only child memory. With 3 other children up in this house, there are not many chances for one on one. I am a member of the PTA at both of my girl's schools, but I don't do much other than throw the occasional couple of bucks that way. I really believe that my help is deserved by their teacher, who is outnumbered 30 to 1. God help her.

#2: Wear makeup and put on a bra when you come help at your kid's school.

Untitled
Lipstick at the farm. 
Seriously! Don't be your child's homely mother. You are a sexy, strong woman underneath that old, over sized 10,000 Maniacs shirt  you think is okay to wear in 2013. Put on some makeup and dress up for your kid's classroom. Your child will notice and their classmates will notice. Plus, a compliment from a six year old is still a compliment-and still feels good.  

#3: Be the mom that does stuff at those things.

Untitled
This bird pooped in my hand. Also, the terror eyes shine through as much as I am feigning excitement
over holding a baby chick that pooped in my hand. You gotta do what you gotta do.
When you've decided to help out at an assembly or field trip, put all your effort into it. Don't sit on your iPhone while everyone is singing and clapping on the bus ride to wherever. 
Are all the kids are doing the chicken dance at the assembly? You should do it, too. Especially if you aren't a silly mom normally.
Your kid will remember all of these things, I promise... Unless your kid is a goldfish. 

3 comments:

  1. Amen sister! It's why I do what I do!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! And I would like to add that someday they may not want you there, (my older boys are already there) so live it up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did this last year when Duke was in Kindergarten and it was awesome. But we decided to homeschool this year. I kinda wish I had my freedom again lol I'm sure Duke is sick of me too lol

    ReplyDelete