Wednesday, December 5, 2012

The Best Thing My Mother Taught Me


Untitled

Two summers ago, my mother came to Utah to stay with me for a week.
A WEEK. 
I love my mom, and I have no doubt that she loves me, but I have made some different lifestyle choices that can be an elephant in the room sometimes (I know...This is nothing like your relationship with your mom, right?).
So, to avoid those unpleasantly elephant-ish moments, and focus our energies on something other than our differences, my mom taught me how to bake bread while she was in town.


Untitled

Is there anything better than homemade bread? I didn't think so.
I have been making this loaf regularly for almost two years now, and while I have tweaked the recipe slightly to make it heartier, it is basically the one my mom taught me. Enjoy.

HONEY WHEAT BREAD

  • 4 TBSP. Yeast (with 2 Cups warm water and sprinkle of sugar)
  • 10-11 C. Flour (I use half whole wheat and half all purpose white)
  • 1 C. Ground oats
  • 1 C. Roughly ground flax seeds (like, a couple seconds in the coffee grinder)
  • 4 TSP. Salt
  • 2 C. Milk (I have used soy before and it still turns out fine)
  • 2 C. Water
  • 1 C. Honey
  • 1/2 C. Vegetable oil
  • 2 Eggs
-Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water in a large bowl. Sprinkle sugar over yeast, let sit for 5 minutes.

-Add 4 cups flour, the ground oats, ground flax, salt, milk, water, honey, oil and eggs. Mix until well blended (about 3 minutes). I do not have a stand mixer, so I just plop in the ingredients on top of my dissolved yeast, and use my hand mixer until it is too hard to mix..then I use my big muscles and an even bigger spoon.


-Add remaining flour, 1 cup at a time, and mix until blended. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour. You want it to be, well, doughy. I use around 11 cups with my add ins. Without the oats and flax I use 12 cups.

-Knead for 8 minutes on a floury surface. Seriously, set a timer for 8 minutes.

-Cut dough into 5 even portions. Using THE ROLLING PIN METHOD, form your loaves. If you are using a loaf pan, be sure it is well greased (I use a little Crisco). Sometimes, I like to sprinkle a little corn meal on the bottom for extra awesomeness. You can also bake your loaves on a sheet pan, and they will look fancy and artisan.

-Let rise until doubled (about 30 minutes)

-Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. Remove loaves promptly and place on cooling racks.
If you use a loaf pan, be sure to remove the loaves asap so they don't over cook and eventually collect condensation at the bottom. Grosssaroo!

BREAD TIME.



2 comments:

  1. i love your bread!!!
    def wanna try to make it myself one day :)

    also, jachel makes the best apple pie! u should get her recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We make al, of our own bread! After making it you never want to go back to store bought :)

    Your bread looks yummy!!

    ReplyDelete