Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Husband of mine

My husband rolled out of bed and out the door today at 5 am. This is our normal routine for a weekday and my normal routine is to scooch over into his spot where I'll smell his pillow, put my cheek in his drool spot and miss him for an hour before I get up. Creepy much?
I just really, really like him.
Being married for only a couple of months has been tricky and I've had to work hard to get along and live with another adult again. After living alone for a couple years, I got used to having things my way all the time. Eating my way, coming and going when I wanted, cleaning up after only one extra person and HAVING THINGS MY WAY ALL THE TIME. We've had some normal and expected marial spats and I have to believe that they are normal and expected and okay. No doomsday personality this time, Ju.
So, here is my new mantra:
Our marriage is new, our marriage is new, our marriage is new.
Our marriage is good, our marriage is good, our marriage is good.
Keeping this on repeat in my head for those moments of frustration over dumb peeves that shouldn't be anything more than that. Keeping this in mind before starting war over his dirty lunch box in the sink. Keeping this in mind instead of over thinking a look or a comment that doesn't need any scrutinizing. I just want to love my husband and that is it.

Untitled

2 comments:

  1. I love this. My husband and I have been married for four years, and I still find myself reeling my attitude back in sometimes and thinking to myself "Is this really worth arguing about?". Most of the time, no, it's not. Focusing on all the ways that he is wonderful makes it a lot easier to overlook the times when he's less wonderful ;) And, this is my 2nd marriage too, so I've really had to work on not freaking out and thinking we're headed to divorce court any time we have a disagreement. I REALLY struggled with that in the beginning. But it keeps getting better and better all the time. At the end of the day, I love being married to this guy :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment! I am glad to know these divorce insecurities are the norm.. I love him so much, I get worked up that our relationship isn't perfect. The, "I don't want to make the same mistakes" complex needs to end here and now.

      Delete