Sunday, February 5, 2012

Salute Your Soda!

Over the last year, I have developed a serious obsession with BAKING SODA. I had no idea there were so many uses for this wuunderful powder! I thought I would post some links and tutorials of tested, tried and true tinctures that I love and use on an almost daily basis. Serio folks, this stuff is great and cheap-o!



1. Homemade Deoderizer! (aka Fakebreeze)
I used to just make Fakebreeze with plain old baking soda and water, but adding fabric softener makes is smell like the real thing!
I got this recipe from FakeitFrugal and it's awesome:
  • Spray bottle
  • 1/8 c Fabric Softener (I use and looooove Suavitel. Yes, it is soft as a mother's love.)
  • 2 tblspoons baking soda
  • Hot Hot tap water
To do this the not so messy way and get all your ingredients into the mouth of the spray bottle without spillage, combine the fabric softener and baking soda in a small bowl and then funnel into the bottle. Dumping dry ingredients into the bottle doesn't really work..not that I did it that way the first time.
Fill the bottle with very very hot tap water to dissolve the clumpy baking soda.
Give a good shake and Spray ON! 

2. Facial exfoliator

I don't mean to toot my own horn, but I get told a lot that I have nice skin. It wasn't so nice a few months ago! It wasn't sure if it was dry or oily. I had regular breakouts and was a mess. My secret to repairing a dry sad face is to wash it with a plain Dove beauty bar daily, twice a week baking soda scrub down and a nice moisturizer (I use Regenerist). Easy.
Just take baking soda twice a week and scrub it vigorously for about 15 seconds on your face, wash it off and your skin will feel smoother than a baby's you know what. Slather on a really good moisturizer and you'r complexion will be dewy and lovely. Boom.

3. Baking soda is also a great abrasive to remove stubborn slicky grease on pans! ( I add a little sea salt and scrub with a ball of tin foil for extra stuck on nastiness) 
After meatloaf.
After cleaning up from after meatloaf.


4. Put it in your next load of whites. You're mother, and her mother will say, "duh".

5. Mosquito bite soothie -Make a paste of baking soda and water. Apply to your bite and it feels SO much better. I used this remedy all summer long!

6. Bathe in it. Literally. Just sprinkle about a 1/4 cup into your next bath and enjoy. Your tub will be cleaner afterwards, too!

7. Swish some around in your coffee pot to deodorize and clean up after your morning JOE.

8. Deodorize your wooden cutting board by scrubbing a paste of baking soda, salt and lemon juice. Now everything tastes less garlicy. Yum!

I only posted a few things, but really there are HUNDREDS of uses for baking soda so I posted a few links below. Enjoy!

Do you have a home remedy secret you love to use??

Other baking soda enthusiasts:


1 comment:

  1. wow! i never knew baking soda was such a miracle powder! thanks! sounds like i may be adding another box to my pantry. :)

    ReplyDelete